Israel-Hezbollah War

A view of the July-August 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war from an Israeli living in Haifa (under Katyusha rocket attack)- send personal comments to david2@lisbona.com

Top Blogs eXTReMe Tracker
My Photo
Name:
Location: Haifa, Israel

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Morning concert

My Dad is 95 years old and immigrated to Israel 3 years ago from England to spend his latter years with his family in Israel. He was a bomber pilot in World War 2 and has seen a thing or two in his life. He doesn't get particularly upset in the current war, definitely not for his personal safety. At his age, it's unlikely that he'd die from a Hezbollah rocket.

Every day (not only in wartime) he calls me at 9 a.m. to check how we are and to ask if I can come to him for lunch. This morning he called as usual and asked and I reminded him that we are in Tel Aviv - we stayed over at my daughter Daphnie's apartment. "Oh", he said "so that means you missed the morning concert - we had 3 alarms since 7 o'clock in the morning". "You see, when you leave Haifa, you miss all the good stuff". Humor definitely helps. I'm actually quite surprised that he heard the alarms this morning. Usually he doesn't unless he has his hearing aid (I almost wrote raid) turned on.

Yesterday 90 rockets fell in the Galilee, 100 on Saturday, 120 on Friday. Is this sign of a decline? Maybe, maybe not - too early to tell. The daily average since the start of the war is 100 a day. Varying the frequency may just be part of a Hezbollah policy to keep us confused and on edge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home